Now Cough

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Future of 'Radio'


I was at a Trader Joe's late tonight in Cambridge, and what would have been a simple transaction became a glimmer into the future of radio.

The woman at the checkout, with an orange gardenia in her hair, was in her 20s..and curious. After I explained what PRX does, she told me about her listening habits:

"I listened to KCLU today..."

Now, KCLU is a public radio station in Ventura County, CA. We were talking here in Cambridge, MA.

" In fact I was listening to Garrison Keillor..."

Why not listen on WGBH? A shrug...

"I just grabbed it on iTunes in the radio area, and I just kept it on. Streaming is what it's all about.'

She didn't say radio. She did say listening. Oh sure she knows WGBH, WBUR and even WFCR are out there. But if she is going to listen she is doing it online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home